Pages

Thursday 26 January 2017

Guangzhou Travel Diary

Guangzhou, aka Canton, is the capital city of the Guangdong province and I was so glad to know that the Cantonese dialect is widely spoken there.  Ah yes, something I understand and can converse with.  I'm assuming that the dialect originated in that part of China, but I could be wrong so look it up if you're interested in the subject.

I was never interested in travelling to other parts of China, but last year, I had an epiphany that maybe I should since I live in this country anyway.  And it'd be too narrow minded of me to think or even generalize that every part of China is the same when in fact, every city is unique in their own way.

I've been wanting to go to GZ since last year where Carlos actually went with his friends, but we never got the opportunity to go together.  Therefore, when an open door presented itself (because we were both off during the weekend), we decided to go for it.  And without putting much thought into it, we booked a room at the Langham Place.

Unfortunately, Carlos had his days off mixed up which kind of made me wince a little.  However, we had to make the best out of whatever we had which was only 24 hours and that included going there, roaming around and getting back to Macau.  We went straight to Zhuhai after he got off from work, passed through immigration and purchased our train tickets on the spot because our booking online got cancelled even if a transaction was made.  (Tip: Buy the tickets at the station in advance so you wouldn't have to go through what we did by purchasing tickets twice.  Either that or find a reliable site.)  We weren't able to purchase tickets with seat numbers, so we had to stand for the whole train ride to GZ which wasn't half as bad because it only took an hour.


We got to our hotel by taking the metro which was easy enough and actually quick.  It was only walking to the hotel that took some time as we got out of the wrong exit, but things started to turn around when we got to Langham and I saw how nice their lobby was.  Moreover, upon checking in, we were upgraded to a junior suite which was Carlos' surprise all along as he managed to pull some strings.  We were both awestruck when we saw the room because it was huge for two people and the view was stunning!  I'm sharing some of the photos of the hotel below.  Hope you like them and let me know what you think.


Apologies for the wordy post.  Didn't realize that I'd actually rambled on, but stay tuned for my next post where I'll be posting more photos of what we saw in GZ.


No comments:

Post a Comment